When you first find out you have a sight condition you can feel very isolated, you may not know anyone else with the same situation. No matter how supportive your friends and family are, sometimes the only people who understand are those living with the same or similar condition. Many people find meeting other people living with sight loss and sharing experiences very helpful. Just having someone say “Yeah, I get that too” or “I know what you mean” can make life that bit easier.
We run Living with Sight Loss courses and Social centres in addition to supporting several local independent support groups.
Due to Covid-19 our social centres are temporarily suspended
We run two social centres both in Keighley and Bingley. The social centres run from 1.30 pm to 3.30 pm include a light tea and entertainment or just an opportunity to have a cup of tea and a chat.
Transport to and from the social centre is available and costs £4.
Keighley Social Centre
- First and Third Thursday of the month from 1.30 pm to 3.30 pm Lena Anderton Meeting Room, 31 Scott Street Keighley.
Bingley Social Centre
- First and Third Wednesday of the month from 1.30 pm to 3.30 pm Little House Bingley.
If you’d like to know more, please telephone the helpline.
Living with sight loss courses
Our living with sight loss courses allows people to meet and chat with other people living with sight loss in a relaxed, informal environment. Our volunteer speakers, who are people living with sight loss, tell their stories and answer questions.
The courses are run in conjunction with the RNIB, last two days and take place at our Scott Street premises in Keighley. You will learn about equipment that makes living with sight loss easier and pick up hints and tips for carrying out everyday tasks. Courses also cover technology, welfare rights, mobility, eye health and emotional well-being.
Due to Covid-19, the course planned for August 2020 has been cancelled, we hope to run another course in 2021.
Local sight support groups
We also provide support to the following local support groups, (these are separate organisations from sight airedale). For more information please contact our helpline.
Airedale Macular Society
- 1.00pm to 3.00pm, Second Thursday of the Month. Lena Anderton Meeting Room, 31 Scott Street, Keighley. Transport is not available
Ilkley – InSight Group
- 10.00am to 12.00pm, First Thursday of the Month. Clarke Foley Centre, Ilkley. Transport can be requested
Burley-in-Wharfedale Hockney Group
- 2.00pm to 3.30pm, Fortnightly on Thursdays. St Mary Parish Centre. Burley and Menston residents can request transport