Centenary Year

The history of Blind Welfare in Keighley began on the 9 May 1907 when Miss Haigh, the Welfare Worker for the Town Mission to the Sick and Needy was asked to give the matter particular attention. The Town Mission was the only unsectarian mission in Keighley and was established in 1879. Miss Haigh began by hiring a room from the mission at 1 Rook Street, Highfield Lane, Keighley (now Rosemount Flats) to which blind people came one evening each week where they were entertained with music and reading and later were taught knitting, basket work and Braille reading.

To help her is this work Miss Haigh enlisted the aid of Miss Agnes Clough of the Knowle and Miss Mary Craven Laycock. These young ladies entered into the work with enthusiasm they visited the blind people in their homes and sought instruction and advice at the Royal Institution for the Blind in Bradford.

In 1910 the room in Rook Street was replaced by one at 13 Scott Street, Keighley where Mr Herbert Smith, the Blind tea agent was installed with his wife. The corner room overlooking Scott Street and Spencer Street became the headquarters of the Blind work with Miss Haigh still as leader and mainspring of the work until sometime between 1911 and 1913 when it separated from the Town Mission and Keighley Institution for the Blind was born.

In the spring of 1919 the executors of the late Mr Wilson Bailey decided to the sell the property comprising of No's 13 and 15 Scott Street and No 5 Spencer Street, Keighley and gave the Institution the option to purchase. It was decided to accept the offer and a committee was formed to undertake the task of raising £1,500 which in a very short time was successfully completed.

In the Keighley News of the 29th November 1919 it is reported that on the 25th November 1919 at a public meeting held in the Mayor's Parlour at the Keighley Town Hall, Miss Alice Clough president of Keighley Institution for the Blind moved a resolution to the effect that the name of the Keighley Institution for the Blind should be changed to Keighley and District Institution for the Blind that the area of its operation should be the poor of Keighley and Skipton.

In 1959 The Institution became Keighley and District Association for the Blind. On the 9 of May 2007, the Association celebrated its 100th year of supporting local Blind and partially sighted people.

This section is devoted to the some of the personalities and events that helped make our Centenary Year, a year to remember.

What's New

Wednesday 12 and 19 August 2020 from 10am to 3.30pm, 31 Scott Street, Keighley

Our living with sight loss courses gives people the opportunity to meet and chat with other people living with sight loss in a relaxed, informal environment. Our volunteer speakers, who are people living with sight loss, tell their stories and answer questions.

Show your support with peronsalised greeting cards